Sunday, November 14, 2010

Thankfulness Day 14: My Grandma





Last night I was able to visit for a while with my grandma on the phone. She is an amazing lady and I love her with all my heart. She was so encouraging to my heart last night - when I called her, my glass was definitely half-empty, but she kept encouraging me and just talking to her made my heart glad! When I say she is amazing, I really mean amazing! She is a strong lady. She has had some very difficult things in her life and yet she has a calm stay about her and cares for her family. I look at all she has dealt with and done in her life and I have the utmost respect for her. When I think about the things she has been through, I think I really might have folded in dealing with those things, but not her, she is a woman of strength and courage.

I have so many fond memories of my grandma! She is a really fun person to shop with - I can remember every year looking forward to her taking me shopping for school clothes - it was fun and she has GREAT taste! She always looks nice. I wish I could look as nice when I put on a jogging suit to walk as she does! I love being in the kitchen with her and watching her make fabulous meals! She makes the best Jeff Davis pie (even though she would tell you something like "It is probably watery"). It is the BEST! I remember her always caring enough to make us our favorite meal for our birthday dinners, picking me up from school and the memory that stands out the most - I used to be a person that would get REALLY homesick when I had to go away from home for camps, etc. Well, I was to attend a cheerleader camp and just couldn't handle it - guess who came and stayed with me - my grandma! Most high school kids might have been embarrassed at getting homesick like that or having their grandma there with them - not me - I was just glad to be with her. I always know I can count on her and she will always be there for me! She is a hard worker. Everything she does, she gives her best to - from cooking and cleaning her house to taking care of her family.

I think my grandma is one amazingly beautiful lady. She always looks great! She cares for herself and walks almost everyday I think. She is in much better shape than I am - I should take lessons! No matter where she goes she looks classy!

Over the last several years, I watched my grandma demonstrate to me real love. She spent the last several years taking care of my grandpa. His health was getting worse and he required a lot of help with things. She loved him a lot and took wonderful care of him. She was always there to help him in any way she could. It wasn't always easy, but real love sticks it out even when it isn't easy. It was obvious that she loved him in the way that she took care of him with all her heart. It was a wonderful example to me. I know it wasn't easy caring for him at the end at home, but she did it because she knew it was what he wanted. She sacrificed much because of her love for him. What an awesome example of how we are to love. Putting yourself aside for the best of another.

I am thankful for such a great example of love! I am thankful for my grandma and all she has done for my family. I am proud that I have a little girl who is named after her - Allison was my grandma's maiden name. My grandma has had a big impact on my life and I love the times I get to talk to her and be with her. Recently she was able to come to California to see where I lived, meet Ethan and spend time with us. It was meant the world to me and I am so glad she was able to come! Now I am excited that I get to be with her on Thanksgiving! She is definitely someone I am thankful for!

3 comments:

Jamie Humphreys said...

That was a very sweet post. I'm glad I was able to meet her when she was here. :o)

Jen Bauer said...

What a sweet post. Does she read your blog? Not everyone has a great grandma. It's so special that Allie has her:)

Wendy said...

You're so blessed to have that relationship with your grandma. I never did, so I think it's so neat when people are close with grandparents like that.