Monday, June 19, 2006

The Family of God

This past year, God has grown and stretched me in many ways. One of those is being away from my family. I love my family and love being with them. I miss them lots and holidays/special days are really hard to be apart from them. God is so good and has provided for Jeremy and I in so many ways. One of those ways is to have "family" wherever we go. The family of God is such a blessing to us. With both of us being so far from family (Jeremy's family in Minnesota, Missouri, Colorado and Africa and mine in Missouri), God has graciously given us family here in CA!!!!!!! God's gifts are so perfect and good! Our family here in CA is one of those good and perfect gifts, not that they are perfect (close but not quite :) ), but they are perfect in the sense that they are exactly what we need here!!!!!!!!!!!! We are so blessed to have a big family here in CA!!!!!

Yesterday being Father's Day was going to be a tough one for me - I love my dad so much and really wished I could have been with him on Father's Day - same with Jeremy. But God in His perfect love provided a home for us to spend Father's Day with our family here in CA. When we were asked to be included in another family's Father's Day celebration, I got to see the love of Christ clearly shown. They opened their home to us and included us just like family. Jeremy and I were so encouraged and blessed (and that was even before the day began). We had a wonderful time sharing fellowship, snacks, cooking, relaxing, laughing, playing games, etc. Jeremy and I got in the car after a wonderful day and just couldn't say enough about how much fun it was to spend the day with a family and feel like family. It so clearly showed me how we should be as the family of God. It reminded once again of God's provision for my needs no matter where I go! We did very much miss being with our families yesterday, but God was and is so good to us! My favorite scripture has always been Joshua 1:9, "Have I not commanded you, be strong and courageous, do not be afraid for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." In moving from Missouri that verse became something I clung to (and still do!). Yesterday, God reminded me, "Steph I am with you wherever you go and am more than capable of meeing all your needs!" He has met my need for family no matter where I am! So many have reached out to us as "newbies" to CA and we thank each of you!

And those who we spent time with yesterday - each of you showed us Christ yesterday - and that means more than you will ever know! Oh - I can't resist - we loved the treasure hunt you planned in the salads - what a fun game!!!!!!! It reminded us of something our families would do as well! We love you guys!

6 comments:

Patricia said...

Steph,
It was wonderful to have you guys there as well. It's always so special when God brings new friends into our lives. (Especially ones that can cook really good ribs!!) Seriously though, I'm really glad you were able to spend yesterday with us!

Heavy G said...

I know exactly what you mean. When we moved here it was hard to say goodbye to family but God haa used our church family here to bless us in so many ways it is beyond explaining.

Peter Brown said...

Sorry about making Jeremy feel about about See's candies! When people stop being polite is when you two really know your IN.

BTW 41 explanation points is only 3 short of a blog record... keep at it!

Stephanie said...

Kludge,

No worries about the Sees Candy - made us feel at home! We loved it -

J Crew said...

I think I might shed a tear.

J Crew said...

I think I might shed a tear.