

Jeremy standing where all the "famous" people stood to speak.




Ando's recent post on the Cold War inspired me to share some pictures from my hometown on Jeremy and my recent visit to Missouri. I lived in a town called Fulton, Missouri. A historic spot in Fulton is the Westminster College Campus due to the fact that Winston Churchill delivered his famous Iron Curtain speech from there and it is also the home of the Winston Churchill Memorial Church. It was many years later when the dedication of "Breakthrough" was done - this was the dedication of a piece of the "Iron Curtain" being brought to the Westminster Campus. You can see in the pictures Jeremy and I standing by the wall - the cut outs of the people represent the wall being gone - people being able to pass through. Below is a link where you can read more about the Churchill Memorial if interested. The church is beautiful and I have been to many weddings there. It is funny how you can have such history in your town and take it for granted. I was able to hear many famous people speak at the campus, Reagan, Bush (both actually) and Gorbachev. Hearing Gorbachev speak with the piece of the wall there - knowing the speech given by Churchill many years prior was probably one of the most memorable. Just a little tidbit of history from the midwest.
http://www.westminster-mo.edu/cm/history/index.asp (Link to the Westminster Churchill Memorial)
9 comments:
That is very cool. Thanks for the pictures.
that is pretty fascinating. ALl we have here is Luther Burbank and thanks to him, my allergies are amazing.
Those are some pretty impressive names you've heard speak--I'm a little jealous! I'm trying to think of some names I can drop but nothing's coming to me. I have heard Jeff Graves preach, but I guess you probably have too.
This is really Cool!! I don't know many people who can say that the leader of a former superpower spoke in thier hometown.
I love the Berlin wall pieces. I will remember sitting at home, watching the TV, as German citizens tore that wall down. I will keep that memory for the rest of my life. It's our generations - "where were you when we landed on the moon."
Thanks for sharing. At first when I saw the pics I thought they were of the Berlin Wall. A piece of that is at the Ronald Reagan Library in Simi Valley. Interesting history back in the midwest.
Thanks for sharing. At first when I saw the pics I thought they were of the Berlin Wall. A piece of that is at the Ronald Reagan Library in Simi Valley. Interesting history back in the midwest.
Megan,
They actually are of the Berlin Wall - when the "Iron Curtain" or Berlin Wall came down, Fulton received a piece of the wall. Reagan was there to speak at the dedication as well.
Thanks for praying for us Stephanie. I do remember meeting you at Chris and Sarah's. Thanks to you and Jermany for keeping us in your prayers. You guys are great :)
You got some great pic's of your home town. You'll have fun telling your child all about your past and who you heard speak. I wish I had taken more pictures of my hometown before I moved away. We didn't have anything cool like yours but it is fun to look at places you grew up with.
Post a Comment