Two years ago today, I was preparing to go in to be induced. My little Ethan was snug as a bug and a week late. I remember waking up about this time (3:15 a.m.) a little nervous about what the day would hold. I was nervous about so many things. I was unsure of the whole "induction" and how that would go but I was also nervous at the thought of how life was going to change. I was also nervous thinking about the enormous responsibility that comes in training and teaching a child. It was also quite an emotional time because my grandfather had just passed away. I had wanted so much to be back in MO with my family during the time of his going home to be with the Lord but because I was due any day, flying wasn't an option. I had so hoped that Papa (my grandfather) could meet the little man that was on the way. But God's plans were different and He used it to teach me and grow me so very much.
I remember the day of Ethan's birth thinking much about my grandfather and the lessons he had taught us growing up. I had lots of time to think - it took quite a while for the medicine to kick in. I remember the love that Papa showed each of us throughout our lives. I remember how he sacrificed for his family. I remember how he loved being with each of us and the fun adventures we had together. I remember the smile he had when he would laugh and his large hands holding mine. I remember he would do anything for us - even eating corn flake and mayonaise cookies I made especially for him (I was young ok - lol). I was flooded with all of these thoughts and realized that I wanted to be like that with my children - Papa had such an impact on my life and I was being given once again the opportunity to impact the lives of my children. I remember thinking - never did I have to question that Papa loved me - it was so clearly shown to me in how he lived. I want my children to never have to question that I love them. I want it to be clearly demonstrated to them.
The song that I couldn't get out of my head that day was In Christ Alone (the version done by Page CXVI). The lyrics that kept ringing in my head was, "No guilt in life, no fear in death from life's first cry to final breath." We had been through my grandfather's final breath and were about to experience life's first cry. And I just kept thinking about how in Christ - can truly have no fear in life or death. I am thankful that my grandfather knew that and pray daily that it becomes a truth for my little man, Ethan David!
Ethan arrived safe and sound that night at 9:25 p.m. And he truly captured my heart immediately. I mentioned earlier about being nervous about how life would change. Life did change in big ways, ways that grew our hearts and made us more of the family God desired for us to be. I can't imagine life without the smiles of my little "E!" It was one of the best changes ever!!!!!!!!
Ethan David you are a blessing to each of us! Your energy, personality and heart make each day brighter! Nothing makes me smile more than to walk in your room in the morning and hear, "Hi baby, I wuffffff you!" You are teaching me a lot and God is using you in my life. Your mommy loves you so very much and I know that Papa Love would have been tickled by you. Sometimes I see him in your BIG smiles and those little ornery glints you get in your eye. (Pretty sure that is why God made you so very cute!)
I love watching you with your Daddy and sister! They love you so much!
Ethan my prayer is that you come to love the Lord with all of your heart, soul, mind and strength. I pray that you come to know Christ and that in Him alone your hope is found. That song that God gave me that day so clearly has become my prayer for you - that Christ would be your light, strength, and song. I know there will be (and have been) times, as much as we love you, that we will fail you - but always know that Christ will not. He is "firm through the fiercest drought ands storm." He loves you more than anything.
I rejoice and am incredibly humbled that God entrusted you to us. You light up my days! I love being with you and being your mommy!
Happy 2nd Birthday Ethan David! You are a blessing from the Lord! And you are just stinkin' cute!!!!!! Those big smiles are contagious!




3 comments:
Beautiful, Steph. He is such a sweet little guy, and you are doing a fabulous job as his mom. Hope his birthday is wonderful!
Beautiful post, Steph!! He sure is one handsome little man:)
Great posts. I just read through the last several blog posts you made and am missing you a bunch. I enjoyed reading this one about Ethan. He is such a wonderful kid. I love how we are able to be there to influence our children and bring them up in the Lord. You are a great mommy and are doing a wonderful job with your kids. Miss you. See you soon.
Post a Comment