Friday, April 01, 2011

Lessons In Discipline

I need to start this post by stating from the get-go that being disciplined is just not my strong suit. I always have great ideas and good plans but struggle with the daily discipline to see something through. A little over a month ago I was inspired by a friend (who I really want to be like when I grow up) to exercise. I read on her blog that she was doing the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and was quite intrigued by this. I was watching Biggest Loser while reading her blog and immediately thought, "I should be doing this." I jumped on Amazon, checked out the DVD and instantly ordered it. Grand idea in my mind - big question - could I really be disciplined enough to see it through to completion? 30 days of consistent exercise? I have to admit part of me really thought I would start and like everything else it would end after a week or so of trying. But deep in my heart I wanted to finish a full 30 days . . . I wanted to be disciplined to do something that was hard - that would be a challenge to me.

Discipline can seem like a nasty word. I looked it up and found that one of the meanings of discipline is: The treatment suited to a disciple or learner; education; development of the faculties by instruction and exercise; training, whether physical, mental, or moral. Doesn't sound so bad - but does involve several things: an intentional choice and a clear commitment.

I am more than excited to write this post and say that I did complete the 30 days! It didn't happen without struggle, sweat, aches, help from my husband, and yes, even a new pair of tennis shoes! :) The exercise has been great - I have slept better, feel better and while I am bummed that the scale hasn't changed, clothes are fitting much differently. But the last 30 days have benefited me more than the exercise. I have learned some good lessons in discipline. Things that I can apply to other areas of my life and hopefully continue to grow to be more disciplined. What did I learn?

*Accountability is ESSENTIAL! I made many people aware of what I was doing - people who I knew would encourage me and keep me accountable!

*Pressing on even when I didn't want to! There were many days that exercising was the last thing that I wanted to do but I have learned that a disciplined person makes hard choices - funny part is I always felt better when I made myself do it!

*Set short term goals! It would be totally unrealistic for me to say, "I am going to exercise everyday for the rest of the year." But it is within reason that I can do something for 30 days - - "I can do anything in my life for 30 days." Breaking things into smaller goals makes attaining them easier to reach.

*Set a schedule. I had a pretty regular time for exercise each day. Having a time that I knew I would exercise helped me set a routine that I and my whole family knew and expected. This allowed my husband to be a big help and encouragement to me. My daughter would even exercise with me at times.

*Discipline involves sacrificing momentary pleasures for what matters most. In regards to my exercise, being healthy and able to help my family is important. Momentary pleasure might be hitting the snooze button, laying on the couch, playing on the computer - but those things don't matter most.

*Reward is a good thing. My sweet husband set a reward for me if I completed a full 30 days - - that was a big driving force for me to finish. While rewards don't have to be material rewards and don't have to be big, it is ok to reward ourselves for a job well done.

*After a period of time, the thing you are working to be disciplined in becomes a normal part of your life. One you miss when it is not there. This is one of the craziest things to me but after 30 days, I gave myself a day off yesterday. I can honestly tell you I missed exercising yesterday and felt a little guilty for taking a day off.

*Being disciplined really does take a conscience decision and commitment that says, "No matter what I am going to do this."

I have a lot to learn and still have much growing ahead of me in being disciplined. But the last 30 days taught me a lot and I am excited about the next 30 days! April 1 and back at it. The one thing I know is that when I am determined, I really can do it. The other thing I know - I have a massage at Coldwater Creek waiting for me!!!!!

4 comments:

Esther said...

Great Job, Steph! I am so proud of you for sticking to it! I know how hard it can be- I am doing the same workout and most days I have to talk myself into it...but like you, I am always glad I did it! Glad to know that when we come visit I will have a work out buddy- always a lot more fun to do with a friend then by yourself! I will need it all the more with all the delicious food I will be eating while home (especially all the yummy food we can make together! ::))
Miss you tons and love you!

Wendy said...

I hope your massage is wonderful and relaxing, you'll have to tell us all about it! You should be so proud of your accomplishment, doing that DVD faithfully for 30 days is no joke. It's been really fun to bond with you over our exercise journeys. :)

PS. I don't even own a scale, the way you feel and the way clothes fit are the most encouraging things to pay attention to. You're a rock star!

Sarah Kuhner said...

Good job finishing up the 30 days!! I know that was really hard at times, but you stuck with it and over came everything to accomplish your goal. Way to go!

Sarah Kuhner said...

Good job finishing up the 30 days!! I know that was really hard at times, but you stuck with it and over came everything to accomplish your goal. Way to go!