Monday, January 31, 2011

A Lesson Learned


Oh that I would have real childlike faith. This morning I woke up not feeling the best. I have had a cough that has been hanging on and so it was a rough start to the morning. As we were getting ready for the day, I was helping Allie get her shoes on while sitting on the edge of our bed. (I am being descriptive because I want this moment forever engrained in my mind.) Allie was very concerned that I was not feeling well. She asked, "Mommy can I get you a warm rag since you don't feel good?" I nicely thanked her but told her that it wouldn't help. Her response, "Well there is nothing I can do to help you, what can I do to help you feel better?" I told her, "Just pray today that Jesus helps mommy feel better." Immediately - and I mean immediately she grabbed my hand, bowed her head and prayed, "Dear Heavenly Father, help mommy to have a good day and please help her to feel better and her cough to go away. Amen." Besides the fact that it was amazingly precious and super sweet as well as one of those moments you are excited that she is learning what you are trying to teach her, she really convicted me this morning and taught me a lesson. Why is it when I know someone is hurting or in need that I respond simply with "I will be praying for you" and don't seize the moment and pray with them right then? Am I too worried about what they will think? Am I concerned that it will take up my time? My little girl didn't hesitate at all today - I expressed a need and she took it to the Lord with me right then and there. God used that today to really challenge me to not just tell someone I am going to pray for them, but to take the precious opportunity to boldly approach the throne of grace with them. I am so thankful for God's desire to teach me and grow me and that he chose to use my little 3 year old to do that.

4 comments:

Jamie Humphreys said...

What a sweet moment and great challenge for us all. Thanks for sharing it!

Wendy said...

Amen to this! It's amazing how we're humbled by the faith of a child.
I hope you feel better soon!

Esther said...

This is precious Stephanie!

Sarah Kuhner said...

Isn't it amazing when our children teach us what it really means to have a child like faith. That is convicting for me too. We really need to take the time to pray with those around us right when they need it. Thanks for encouraging me in this today.