Friday, December 15, 2006

Jeff Davis Pie - My Favorite Pie!


In my last post, I talked about my "Jeff Davis Pie" and how it turned out like Grandma's pie - - - - well, the truth is that Jeff Davis Pie is my favorite pie! Each trip back to Missouri, I request my grandma to make one (and of course she does). It is similar to a custard pie, but definitely better! I am going to have to make another one and introduce my California friends to "Jeff Davis Pie." I have no clue where the name came from - I simply know I love it! One year at a family gathering, my cousin (who was much younger at the time) could not remember "Jeff Davis" and referred to it as "Jack Davis" - so now the family joke is, "Are you going to make a Jack Davis Pie?" My cousin Aaron and I have a hard time sharing this pie. Sooooooooooo next time there is a get together, I am going to have to volunteer to make pie - just so everyone can at least try it. I think Christine did get a piece of it Thanksgiving night - - - and I think she enjoyed it.

Pictured above are the pies that we made on Thanksgiving: Pumpkin, Jeff Davis and Chocolate.

Can't wait to share the joy of this pie with my readers :)

4 comments:

J Crew said...

I'm down for pie

Peter Brown said...

Sounds good. I look forward to the experience.

PS... the chocolate one, with what looks like a meringue top, looks good too!

Anonymous said...

I'm all for being introduced to traditions from other parts of the country. Bring it on! :)

Anonymous said...

Just wondering what part of Missouri your Grandmother lived in. I grew up in Boone County & we also had the Jeff Davis pie. My great-grandmother's family came to Missouri from Kentucky. I've always heard that the name "Jeff Davis" pie was named for the Confederate President, Jefferson Davis! I now live in Indiana & no one knows what I'm talking about when I ask for this pie!

Born a Missourian
Sheila