Monday, June 03, 2013

Happy Anniversary from Missouri to Japan!

June 4 is a day that holds a very special place in my heart.  It is the day that God blessed me beyond what I could ask or imagine.  It is the day I had the honor and privilege of becoming Mrs. Jeremy Writebol.  Eight years ago, I was able to marry my best friend and make a covenant with him to love one another no matter what - to say we wanted Christ to be the head of our marriage and our heart's desire was to have our marriage be a reflection of Christ and His love for the church.

Today we celebrate that special day on two different continents.  Jeremy is in Japan and I am in Missouri.  I will be honest, when I first realized he was going to be out of the country on our anniversary, I was a little irritated.  How would we celebrate our anniversary if we weren't together?  No nice dinner out together?  My own little pity party.  But the more I have thought about it, the more I have realized that this is what I prayed for so many years ago when I was asking God to bring a husband into my life.  My prayer before Jeremy and I ever met was that God would bring in to my life a man who loved Him more than anything in the world.  That God would bring me a husband who loved the gospel and seeing others come to know Him more than anything else.  God honored that prayer by blessing me with Jeremy.   God gave me a husband whose heartbeat is to see the gospel advance for the sake of Christ and to see others come to know Him in a real way.

I think all too often I can get caught up in "the day" and making sure that it is a picture perfect celebration.  The reality is that everyday is a celebration of the life God has given us together.  It is in the every day moments, that we can demonstrate and reflect Christ to one another, to our children and to the world.  Jeremy and I aren't perfect and we don't have marriage all figured out, but what I do know is that Jeremy loves me, I love him, without Christ we can't do anything and Christ is continuing to grow and change us more and more.

Jeremy is my very best friend.  God knew what I needed and blessed me beyond what I could ask or imagine.  Jeremy knows my heart and challenges me to step beyond my comforts and trust the Lord with more and more in my life.  Jeremy couldn't be more perfect for me.  He gently reminds me of truth when my mind wants to focus elsewhere.  He is so patient with me and I know I can trust him.  Jeremy displays to me Christ-like love day in and day out.  Those are the moments to celebrate - those every day moments when life isn't picture perfect but you look at the person sitting across the table from you knowing God chose exactly what you needed to not just get through the moment, but make it a moment where Christ is lifted high.

Yes, I will be honest, I wish I could give Jeremy a big hug and kiss today on our anniversary and spend the day with him.  I miss him a lot and am beyond thankful for him.  I am also thankful for the life God has given us, the opportunities He has blessed us with and that He chooses to use us for the sake of the gospel, which means I am thankful we are on two different continents today.  I couldn't be more thankful to be Mrs. Jeremy Writebol and I am excited about all God has in store for us!  There is no one I would rather live this adventure with than Jeremy - he is my great thing - - I thank God for him and the treasure he is.

Not sure where eight years has gone.  My dad told me once time wouldn't slow down but only speed up and I think he was right!  But it has been an amazing eight years and I am excited about the years to come.  There is nothing like walking through life with your best friend and experiencing the measures of God's grace daily with them.  Jeremy Writebol I love you with all my heart!  You make me smile!  I am so glad I get to walk through this life with you!  You are a measure of Grace in my life!  Happy Anniversary from Missouri to Japan!  No matter where we are - every day is a celebration of the grace of God upon our lives.  Thanks for loving me!




1 comment:

Sarah Kuhner said...

I know it is hard to not celebrate with your husband on your special day. I like how you came back to the fact that it is not about the day, but your relationship with him.

I did get to see Chris this year on our anniversary, but only for a bit. I had two appointments, he was working in VBX and then at the radio station. Then I had to sleep and he had to go to a job in Sonoma. And I had to take the kids to swim lessons. I got to see him for a few hours before I went to work. Some day we'll have an nice date and make up for it. I'm sure that you will have a wonderful make up date too.