Saturday, August 25, 2012

Thanksgiving in August!

I was thinking today just how much I have to be thankful for and how sometimes, in all honesty I can be a complete grump.  I read a definition of thankfulness which said, "Thankfulness is an attitude of heart from which you are aware of your blessings. Thankfulness flows from the knowledge of how loved, valued and precious you are to God."  Last Sunday my pastor preached from John 19 and challenged us to think about the "Double Cure" Christ has given us:  we are saved from wrath and made pure.  That knowledge should move us to thankfulness - it should move us to be so compelled by love that we live lives that are thankful and ready to act on behalf of the gospel.  

Honestly, I don't want to be a grump.  I want to live each day choosing to be thankful, even when it isn't Thanksgiving day!  Every day should be Thanksgiving.  I am thankful for God's grace - apart from Him, I would always be a grump, and I need him daily to choose thankfulness.  I needed this reminder!  So in honor of Thanksgiving in August I thought I would share some things today that I am thankful for today:



  • Rain and thunderstorms
  • A hail storm in May that provided me with new siding for my house
  • Hearing my kids laugh and play together
  • A husband who loves me and makes me feel treasured
  • Finger prints on the table I just washed
  • A refrigerator covered with reminders from our friends in CA that they love us
  • My family and God planting me so close to so many of them
  • My new church family and how God is using them in my life already
  • Music and hearing my kids sing with joy
  • The Double Cure from Christ - he has saved me from wrath and is day by day making me pure.
Here are a few pics of just a few things from the list that will serve as reminders to me of how blessed I am!

A handprint that I am thankful for - thankful for who those fingers belong to!

Reminders of how much we are loved!  

This warms my heart - seeing them together and hearing them talking and laughing together!  



2 comments:

Sarah Kuhner said...

What a great post. We have so much to be thankful for. I know my day is ever so much better when I remember to thank God for all He has given. I play a game in the car with my kids and we all just keep going round and round thanking God for all that we can think of. My heart is so much more peaceful when I remember to put thanksgiving at the top of my list.

Oh, and I love your frig. We'll have to make some more pictures for your frig!

Jen Bauer said...

It's so easy to get sidetracked and grumpy by all the little things. I know I struggle with that constantly. Good reminder for all we have to be thankful for.